Terms & Conditions
Welcome to Rentvault
These terms and conditions or contract outline the rules and regulations for the use of Rentvault's website.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully.
Any forms referenced on the Rentvault website, including but not limited to lease agreements, notice of termination, notice to repair, notice of intent to vacate the premises, notice of rent increase, notice to enter, notice of late rent, notice of lease violation, have been prepared as a guide only , and not intended to constitute legal advice. Users are encouraged to seek legal advice on these forms for compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
By accessing this website, and by clicking “sign up” or similar, registering, accessing or using our services, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions in full, including any other terms and conditions, which are incorporated herein by this reference, and agreeing to enter into a legally binding contract with Rentvault (even if you are using our services on behalf of a company). If you do not agree to this contract (“ contract ” or “ user agreement ”), do not click “sign up” (or similar) and do not access or otherwise use any of our services. If you wish to terminate this contract, at any time you can do so by closing your account and no longer accessing or using our services.
Do not continue to use Rentvault, or access its services, if you do not accept all the terms and conditions stated on this page.
Rentvault may update these terms and conditions at any time. Please review the terms and conditions regularly to ensure you are aware of any changes. Your continued access to and/or use of Rentvault’s services after changes have been made to the terms and conditions indicates your agreement to be legally bound by the updated and/or amended terms and conditions.
The following terminology applies to these terms and conditions, privacy statement and disclaimer notice and any or all agreements:
“client”, “you” and “your” refers to you, the person accessing this website and accepting the company’s terms and conditions.
“the company”, “ourselves”, “we,'' “our ” and “us”, refers to our company.
“ party” o r , “parties” refers to the client and we, or either the client or ourselves.
All terms refer to the offer, acceptance and consideration of payment necessary to undertake the process of our assistance to the client in the most appropriate manner, whether by formal meetings of a fixed duration, or any other means, for the express purpose of meeting the client’s needs in respect of provision of the company’s stated services, in accordance with and subject to the prevailing law.
Any use of the above terminology or other words in the singular, plural, capitalization and/or he/she or they, are taken as interchangeable and therefore as referring to it.
This contract applies to rentvault.ca communications and other services that state that they are offered under this contract (“ services ”), including the offsite collection of data for those services and policies. Registered users of our services are “ members ” and unregistered users are “ visitors ”. This contract applies to both members and visitors.
You agree to use the services for lawful purposes only and in any way that does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit any person’s use and enjoyment of the services and in compliance, at all times, with the within terms and conditions and with all laws and regulations that apply.
You will honor your payment obligations and consent to us storing your payment information. You understand that there may be fees and taxes that are added to our prices.
We do not guarantee refunds.
If you buy any of our paid services, you agree to pay us the applicable fees and taxes and to additional terms specific to the paid services. Failure to pay these fees will result in the termination of your paid services. Also, you agree that:
Your purchase may be subject to foreign exchange fees or differences in prices based on location (e.g. Exchange rates).
We may store and continue billing your payment method (e.g. Credit card) even after it has expired, to avoid interruptions in your services and for other services, you may buy.
If you purchase a subscription, your payment method will automatically be charged at the start of each subscription period for the fees and taxes applicable to that period. To avoid future charges, cancel before the renewal date.
We may calculate taxes payable by you based on the billing information that you provide us at the time of purchase.
Unless otherwise stated, Rentvault and/or its licensors own the intellectual property rights for all material on Rentvault. All intellectual property rights are reserved. You may view and/or print pages from http://rentvault.ca for your own personal use subject to restrictions set in these terms and conditions.
You must not:
- Republish material from http://rentvault.ca
- Sell, rent or sub-license material from http://rentvault.ca
- Reproduce, duplicate or copy material from http://rentvault.ca
- Redistribute content from Rentvault (unless content is specifically made for redistribution).
This agreement shall begin on the date hereof.
Certain parts of this website offer the opportunity for users to post and exchange opinions, information, material and data ( "comments” ) in areas of the website. Rentvault does not screen, edit, publish or review comments prior to their appearance on the website and comments do not reflect the views or opinions of Rentvault, its agents or affiliates. Comments reflect the view and opinion of the person who posts such view or opinion. To the extent permitted by applicable laws Rentvault shall not be responsible or liable for the comments or for any loss cost, liability, damages or expenses caused and or suffered as a result of any use of and/or posting of and/or appearance of the comments on this website.
Rentvault reserves the right to monitor all comments and to remove any comments which it considers in its absolute discretion to be inappropriate, offensive or otherwise in breach of these terms and conditions. You warrant and represent that:
- You are entitled to post comments on our website and have all necessary licenses and consents to do so.
- The comments do not infringe any intellectual property rights, including without limitation copyright, patent or trademark, or other proprietary rights of any third party.
- The comments do not contain any defamatory, libelous, offensive, indecent or otherwise unlawful material or material which is an invasion of privacy.
- The comments will not be used to solicit or promote business or custom or present commercial activities or unlawful activity.
You hereby grant to Rentvault a non-exclusive royalty-free license to use, reproduce, edit and authorize others to use, reproduce and edit any of your comments in any and all forms, formats or media.
Hyperlinking to our content
The following organizations may link to our web site without prior written approval:
- Government agencies.
- Search engines.
- News organizations.
- Online directory distributors when they list us in the directory may link to our web site in the same manner as they hyperlink to the web sites of other listed businesses and system wide accredited businesses (except soliciting non-profit organizations, charity shopping malls, and charity fundraising groups which may not hyperlink to our website).
These organizations may link to our home page, to publications or to other website information so long as the link:
- Is not in any way misleading.
- Does not falsely imply sponsorship, endorsement or approval of the linking party and its products or services. and,
- Fits within the context of the linking party's site.
We may consider and approve in our sole discretion other link requests from the following types of organizations:
- Commonly-known consumer and/or business information sources such as chambers of commerce.
- Dot.com community sites.
- Associations or other groups representing charities, including charity giving sites, online directory distributors.
- Internet portals.
- Accounting, law and consulting firms whose primary clients are businesses. and,
- Educational institutions and trade associations.
We will approve link requests from these organizations if we determine that:
- The link would not reflect unfavourably on us or our accredited businesses (for example, trade associations or other organizations representing inherently suspect types of business, such as work-at-home opportunities, shall not be allowed to link).
- The organization does not have an unsatisfactory record with us.
- The benefit to us from the visibility associated with the hyperlink outweighs the absence of. and
- Where the link is in the context of general resource information or is otherwise consistent with editorial content in a newsletter or similar product furthering the mission of the organization.
If you are among the organizations listed in paragraph 2 above and are interested in linking to our website, you must notify us by sending an email to email@example.com. Please include your name, your organization name, contact information (such as a phone number and/or email address) as well as the URL of your site, a list of any URLS from which you intend to link to our web site, and a list of the URL(s) on our site to which you would like to link. Allow 2-3 weeks for a response.
Approved organizations may hyperlink to our web site as follows:
- By use of our corporate name.
- By use of the uniform resource locator (web address) being linked to.
- The benefit to us from the visibility associated with the hyperlink outweighs the absence of. and
- By use of any other description of our web site or material being linked to that makes sense within the context and format of content on the linking party's site.
No use of Rentvault’s logo or other artwork will be allowed for linking without a trademark license agreement.
Without prior approval and express written permission, you may not create frames around our web pages or use other techniques that alter in any way the visual presentation or appearance of our web site.
Reservation of rights
We reserve the right at any time and in its sole discretion to request that you remove all links or any particular link to our web site. You agree to immediately remove all links to our web site upon such request. We also reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions and it’s linking policy at any time. By continuing to link to our web site, you agree to be bound to and abide by these linking terms and conditions.
Removal of links from our website
If you find any link on our website or any linked web site objectionable for any reason, you may contact us about this. We will consider requests to remove links but will have no obligation to do so or to respond directly to you. Whilst we endeavour to ensure that the information on this website is correct, we do not warrant its completeness or accuracy. nor do we commit to ensuring that the website remains available or that the material on the website is kept up to date.
We shall have no responsibility or liability for any content appearing on our website. You agree to indemnify and defend us against all claims arising out of or based upon our website. No link(s) may appear on any page on our website or within any context containing content or materials that may be interpreted as libellous, obscene, criminal, infringes, violates and advocates the infringement or other violation of any third-party rights.
Rentvault will not be responsible for any breach in privacy from information collected from any internet means, as there are circumstances which we cannot control.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, we exclude all representations, warranties and conditions relating to our website and the use of this website (including, without limitation, any warranties implied by law in respect of satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and/or the use of reasonable care and skill). Nothing in this disclaimer will: limit or exclude your liability for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
The limitations and exclusions of liability set out in this section and elsewhere in this disclaimer:
- Are subject to the preceding paragraph.
- Govern all liabilities arising under the disclaimer or in relation to the subject matter of this disclaimer, including liabilities arising in contract, tort (including negligence) and for breach of statutory duty.
To the extent that the website and the information and services on the website are provided free of charge, or paid, we will not be liable for any loss or damage of any nature.
Submission of your information
All information transmitted or otherwise submitted to us by you via the website shall be deemed to be our property. We shall be free to use such information for any lawful purpose. We shall not have any obligation to keep any information confidential, except as otherwise specifically agreed to in writing by us or as required by law.
You hereby acknowledge that the internet is not a secure medium and privacy cannot be guaranteed or ensured. We shall not be responsible for any damages that you or any third-party may suffer as a result of the transmission of confidential information that you make to us through the internet or that you expressly or implicitly authorize us to make or for any errors or any changes made to any such transmitted.
Indemnification by you
You hereby agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us, our affiliates, third-party licensors and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents harmless from and against any liability, loss, claim, and expense, including legal fees and disbursements on a solicitor-client basis related to your violation of the terms or your use of the website, including the information.
Ratings, reviews and history
By agreeing to this contract, you consent to display your rental history for landlords/tenants to see.
After completing an agreement, landlords and tenants can leave a review (“ review”) and submit a star rating (“ rating ”) about each other. Ratings or reviews reflect the opinions of individual members and do not reflect the opinion of Rentvault. Ratings and reviews are not verified by Rentvault for accuracy and may be incorrect or misleading.
Ratings and reviews by landlords and tenants must be accurate and may not contain any offensive or defamatory language. Ratings and reviews must comply with Rentvault's content policy and extortion policy.
You are prohibited from manipulating the ratings and reviews system in any manner, such as instructing a third party to write a positive or negative review about other landlords or tenants.
Ratings and reviews are part of a member’s profile and may also be surfaced elsewhere on Rentvault together with other relevant information.
We reserve the right to modify, update, or discontinue the website at our sole discretion, at any time, for any or no reason, and without notice or liability. We may provide you with notices, including those regarding changes to the terms by email, regular mail or communications through the website. The terms contain the entire agreement between you and us regarding the use of the website and supersede any prior agreement between you and us on such subject matter. The parties acknowledge that no reliance is placed on any representation made but not expressly contained in these terms. Any failure on Rentvault's part to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the terms does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. The failure of either party to exercise in any respect any right provided for herein shall not be deemed a waiver of any further rights hereunder. If any provision of the terms is found to be unenforceable or invalid, then only that provision shall be modified to reflect the parties' intention or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that the terms shall otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable.
The terms and any rights or obligations hereunder are not assignable, transferable or sublicensable by you except with Rentvault's prior written consent but may be assigned or transferred by us without restriction. Any attempted assignment by you shall violate these terms and be void. The section titles in the Terms are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
Notices and messages
By signing this contract, you agree that we may provide notices and messages to you through our website and through your contact information. If your contact information is out of date, you may miss out on important notices.
You agree that we will provide notices and messages to you in the following ways:
- Within the service.
- Sent to the contact information you provided us (e.g., email, mobile number, physical address).
You agree to keep your contact information up to date.
By agreeing to this contract and using the services you are consenting to the communication by either landlords/tenants to contact you regarding prospective properties through your contact information.
You further agree that you indemnify Rentvault and not hold Rentvault responsible for any communication by landlords/tenants and for the repercussions of those communications.
We may change, suspend or end any service, or change and modify prices prospectively at our discretion. To the extent allowed under the law, these changes may be effective upon notice provided to you via email within 30 days of the said change.
We may change or discontinue any of our services. We do not promise to store or keep showing any information and content that you’ve posted.
We are under no obligation to enforce the terms and conditions on your behalf against another user. While we encourage you to let us know if you believe another user has violated the terms and conditions, we reserve the right to investigate and take appropriate action at our sole discretion.
You agree not to, and will not assist, encourage, or enable others to use the website to:
- Violate our content guidelines, for example, by writing a fake or defamatory review, trading reviews with other businesses, or compensating someone or being compensated to write or remove a review.
- Violate any third party's rights, including any breach of confidence, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral rights, privacy rights, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right.
- Threaten, stalk, harm, or harass others, or promote bigotry or discrimination.
- Solicit personal information from minors or submit or transmit pornography, or violate any applicable law.
You also agree not to, and will not assist, encourage, or enable others to:
- Violate the terms and conditions.
- Modify, adapt, appropriate, reproduce, distribute, translate, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display, sell, trade, or in any way exploit the website or website content (other than your content), except as expressly authorized by Rentvault.
- Use any robot, spider, website search/retrieval application, or another automated device, process or means to access, retrieve, scrape, or index any portion of the website or any website content.
- Reverse engineer any portion of the website.
- Remove or modify any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notice that appears on any portion of the website or on any materials printed or copied from the website.
- Record, process, or mine information about other users.
- Access, retrieve or index any portion of the website for purposes of constructing or populating a searchable database of reviews.
- Reformat or frame any portion of the website.
- Take any action that imposes, or may impose, in our sole discretion, an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on Rentvault's technology infrastructure or otherwise make excessive traffic demands of the website.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to the website, user accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the website through hacking, password mining or any other means.
- Use the website or any website content to transmit any computer viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses or other items of a destructive nature (collectively, "viruses").
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the website, or otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the website.
- Use the website to violate the security of any computer network, crack passwords or security encryption codes. disrupt or interfere with the security of, or otherwise cause harm to, the website or website content. or remove, circumvent, disable, damage or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of the website, features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of website content, or features that enforce limitations on the use of the website.
The restrictions above only apply to the extent permissible under applicable law. Nevertheless, you agree not to act contrary to them (even if permissible under applicable law) without providing 30 days' prior written notice to us here, together with any information that we may reasonably require to give us an opportunity to provide alternative remedies or otherwise accommodate you at our sole discretion.
If Rentvault payments is unable to collect any amounts you owe, Rentvault may engage in collection efforts to recover such amounts from you.
Rentvault payments will deem any owed amounts overdue when: (a) For authorized charges, after ninety (90) days have elapsed and Rentvault first attempts to charge the customer’s payment method. or (b) The associated services have been provided, whichever is later.
You hereby explicitly agree that all communication in relation to amounts owed will be made by electronic mail or by phone, as provided to Rentvault.
Such communication may be made by Rentvault, or by anyone on their behalf, including but not limited to a third-party collection agent.
Governing law venue
Unless prohibited by applicable law, the within terms and conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of Alberta.
Chargebacks occur when your payment card provider makes a demand to Rentvault Inc to return monies on a transaction which the tenant claim is fraudulent or otherwise dispute.
Rentvault recognizes that chargebacks can happen for a variety of valid reasons. However, if the tenant makes a payment-card payment through the Rentvault for a property rental, and the tenant later dispute this legitimate charge by raising a chargeback without merit (as by Rentvault), whether fraudulently or otherwise, then Rentvault may take steps to recover any charges resulting from the unmerited chargeback from the tenant.
Unmerited chargebacks include but are not limited to disputing:
- a charge made in accordance with the cancellation policy.
- a charge made in respect of the property rental in which the tenant fails to make reasonable efforts to work with the property owner or Rentvault to resolve any issues.
- or requesting a chargeback without a legitimate reason and/or failing to provide any supporting information in respect of the chargeback to allow the applicable parties from which the chargeback is requested to assess the basis of the chargeback request.
- Rentvault takes a zero-tolerance approach to chargeback fraud. In the event of any unmerited chargeback request, Rentvault reserves the right to recover monies by any legitimate means available. This includes but is not limited to using a third-party debt collection agency or any other lawful means to recover funds successfully charged back to the tenant in such circumstances.
Long term rentals are subject to the policy or regulations of the residential tenancy act. We provide the Payment Protection Policy to tenants who pay online using our invoice or Payment Platform for rental of Properties. If the tenants do not agree to the terms and conditions, then the tenant have no right to obtain reimbursement or claim any other rights under the terms. We may revise these terms at any time and at our sole discretion by amending the applicable web page on the Website or by publishing notices elsewhere on the Website.
To qualify for reimbursement under the terms, the tenant must ensure that:
- the tenant claims fall within one or more of the Protected Conditions
- the tenant paid for the rental on the websites Payment Platform alone or via a Rentvault Invoice.
- the tenant took all what we consider to be the appropriate steps to resolve the issue with the property owner
- the tenant is the person who made the rental inquiry and
- the tenant must comply with all other requirements under the terms.
- The maximum amount in aggregate that Rentvault will reimburse the tenant under these terms is the lower of:
- one month’s rent
- CAD $5,000
- The tenant cannot qualify for reimbursement under the terms if the tenant has requested a chargeback from the tenant payment card company, in relation to part or all the tenant’s qualifying payment. If Rentvault has disbursed the tenant’s payment before the tenants make a claim, then the tenant will need to provide Rentvault with evidence that the tenant has attempted to claim reimbursement from the property owner, the tenants bank, or payment card issuer, as applicable.
- Rentvault will reimburse the tenant for the tenants’ losses up to the Coverage Limit, provided that the tenant meets the claim requirements described above, and one or more of the following “Covered Circumstances” applies
- Fraudulent Advertisement: The listed property owner does not own or manage the Property or is not the authorized agent of the Property’s owner, or the Property is not legally permitted to be rented.
- Inaccessible Property: The tenant has paid for the property in compliance with the Rental Agreement, and the tenant has complied with the property owner’s terms and conditions, but the tenant have been denied entry to the Property as a result of intentional and wrongful conduct of the property owner (which is deemed to include as a result of the property owner’s bankruptcy, insolvency, or fraudulent activity), or the Property is not in fact for rent. The tenant will not be covered for any delay in accessing the Property during the rental period. The tenant must notify Rentvault of this condition no later than the first day of the tenants expected rental period.
- Misrepresented Property: the rental property has defects compared with the advertised Property, and:
- The tenant is unable to rent the Property as intended
- The tenant describes and provide photographic evidence of the defects; and
- The tenant notifies the property owner and Rentvault of this condition no later than the first day of the tenant’s rental period.
- The meaning of “Defects” shall be determined at Rentvault’s discretion, and, among other exceptions, it shall not cover cleanliness of the Property; minor differences in the location of the Property advertised and the actual location of the Property; the presence or availability of local attractions; or maintenance issues with amenities or services.
- Indirect losses: losses associated with travel arrangements, such as airfare or other transportation costs; opportunity losses; contractual losses; consequential losses; losses due to the weather or natural disasters; any losses other than the qualifying Payment.
- If the property owner offers the tenant alternative accommodation in lieu of the Property with defects, and the tenant accepts the alternative accommodation, then the tenant will not be able to make a claim, in respect of any sums paid, for the original Property.
- Any damage deposits or other funds paid to the property owner via Rentvault, that is not returned due to damage or non-compliance with the property owner’s Rental Agreement and/or cancellation policy.
- Any payments made in cash, by check, or wire transfer, or using any other type of payment service other than via Rentvault.
- If the tenant has a close personal connection with the property owner, i.e., the tenant is friends or family of the property owner.
- Payments the tenants made after the tenant is notified that the Property listing is being used to commit fraud or has been removed from the Website.
- In relation to a property with Defects, where the tenant fails to notify Rentvault no later than the first day of the tenant’s rental period and the tenant does not vacate the property by midnight local time on the day of check-in.
- To make a claim, the tenant must:
- Inform Us of the problem no later than the first day of the tenant’s rental period by email. Send Rentvault proof of identification and a detailed description of the circumstances. Submit the Claim to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- if the issue is due to fraudulent activity, The tenant must obtain a police crime reference number/case number in relation to such issue and add it to the Claim email. Details of how to obtain a crime reference number/case number in the email.
- We shall complete the reimbursement claim process in a reasonable time frame (generally within a month) and will keep the tenant informed of any decisions or additional documentation required to process the tenants claim.
Cancellations – Short Term Rentals
Long term rentals are subject to the residential tenancy act. Short term rentals - The tenant can receive a partial or full refund, depending on when the tenant cancels. 100% refund will be provided with 24 hours after booking (provided the stay is at least 60 days away. 50% refund of the amount paid (minus the service fee), if canceled at least 4 weeks before check in. No refund if canceled less than 4 weeks before check in. The service fee helps run a secure Rentvault platform and enables us to provide 24/7 customer support